Make a report on the topic “My Profession”.
Focus on Grammar
1. Questions. Fill in the blanks.
A) do B) does C) is D) are E) have F) has
1. What subjects _________ she good at?
2. _________ your brother got a camera?
3. _________ your mother like cooking?
4. What floor ________your bedroom on?
5. __________ your parents in France now?
6. Where ________ the nearest bookstore?
7. _________ your friend have any money?
8. Where _____________ your uncle work?
9. What sports___________they fond of?
10. What bike _________ you got?
11. What __________ the weather like today?
12. What languages_________you speak?
13.____________you like science fiction?
14. What_________ your favorite pop group?
15. What bike _________ she got?
16. How many apples ________ you got?
17. What subject ________ you like best?
18. Where __________ the capital of your country?
19. ________ you know what time it_______?
20. How far _________London from Liverpool?
Put the verbs into Past Simple.
On the 15-th of October, two men (to try) to get to the top of Everest. They (to make) their camp at the bottom of the mountain. They (to feel) very well in it. It (to be) the highest camp on the mountain. The night before the climb, they (to drink) tea and had supper. They (to discuss) what to take with them to the top. They (to decide) to leave their sleeping bags and tents behind because the equipment (to be) too heavy.
Early in the morning they (to have) breakfast and (to get) dressed. Then they (to start) to go up the mountain. It (to be) extremely difficult. The snow (to be) very deep. After a long, hard fight they (to reach) the top together. They (to laugh), (to shout) and (to take) some photographs.
Then the sun (to disappear) and the two men (to realize) they (to be) on the top of Everest and it (to be) almost night. Their camp (to be) too far to reach. They (to go) a little way down the mountain, but there (to be) no moon and it (to be) too dangerous.
They (to have) to spend the night on the mountain, at about 10,000 meters, with no tent, sleeping bags or food. They (to believe) it (to be) possible. They (to dig) a hole in the snow, and (to bury) themselves. They (not to sleep). It (to be) -30 °C. When the light (to come) at last they (to begin) climbing down, and soon they (to get) to their camp. Everybody (to be) happy.
Choose either the Future Simple or - to be going to - in the following sentences.
1. It probably ______ (not to rain) in Western Europe.
2. ____ you ______ (to come) to my house, please?
3. - Why have you got the flowers? - Because I ____ (to visit) my teacher.
4. The sky is very dark. It ____ (to rain).
5. - Come to the party. - OK. I ____ (to bring) my friend.
6. - I ____ (to walk) the dog. - Wait a minute, and I ____ (to come) with you.
7. I probably never ____ (to learn) this poem.
8. I ____ (to stop) smoking - I really will.
9. - Have you decided what to buy Alex for his birthday? - Yes, I ____ (to buy) a computer game.
10. I love sewing. I ____ (to be) a fashion designer.
11. - How about going for a picnic at the weekend? - That's a good idea. I ____ (to make) a cake.
12. - What presents do you think people ____ (to give) you next Christmas? -1 think my father ____ (to give) me a book.
Perhaps somebody ____ (to give) me perfume. I don't think anybody ____ (to give) me a car.
13. What ____ fashion ____ (to be) like in the year 2000? - I'm sure people____ (not to wear) long dresses and suits.
Clothes ____ (to be) comfortable and simple.
Put the verbs in brackets into the Present Simple or Future Simple.
1. If I ____ (to be free) tomorrow night, I____ (to go) to the concert.
2. He says he ____ (to look in) to see us before he ____ (to leave) our town.
3. Jane ____ (to stay) at home until she ____ (to feel) better.
4. When ____ you ____ (to visit) your grandma? - Probably next year.
5. When my brother ____ (to finish) school he ____ (to go) to college.
6. I ____ (to tell) you as soon as I ____ (to know).
7. I'd like to know when Dan ____ (to be back).
8. Give my love to Laura if you ____ (to see) her.
9. I ____ (not to know) when she ____ (to take) her exam.
10. I don't think we ____ (to finish) our work in time unless you ____ (to help) us.
11. I____ (to give ) you my bike for tomorrow providing you ____ (to bring) it back the day after tomorrow.
12. Mothers says we ____ (to have dinner) after she ____ (to unpack) our things.
13. Don't get off the train until it ____ (to stop).
14. You may take this book so long as you ____ (not to keep) it too long.
15. Your boss ____ (to give) you the day off on condition that you ____ (to work) on Saturday morning.
16. Provided that they ____ (not to do) anything stupid, they ____ (to win) tonight's match easily.
Choose either the Present Simple or Present Continuous in the following sentences.
1. He's in the bathroom. I_________(to think) he (to wash) his hair.
2. - Can I speak to your parents, please? - I'm sorry. They__________(to have) lunch at the moment.
3. I usually (to cook) meals, and my brother (to wash) dishes.
4. Mr. Anderson _______ (to be) an English tourist who _______ (to travel) to Eastern Europe tomorrow. Just now he _______ (to have) breakfast at home. After breakfast he __________ (to go out) to do a lot of things.
5. She's a school teacher. She ________ (to teach) Maths.
6. I _______ (to wear) glasses only for reading and watching TV.
7. On Sunday they________ (to have) dinner at a restaurant.
8. The coffee _______ (to taste) delicious.
9. We _________ (to look for) someone who _____ (to want) to make money.
11. John ______ (to play) in the school team this season.
12. ______ you ______ (to see) that nice butterfly near the stream?
13. If you______(not to listen) to the radio, please______ (to switch) it off.
14. I ______ (to hear) someone speaking in the next room.
15. We ______ (to see off) our grandparents this morning.
16. Don't disturb him. He _______ (to smell) flowers in the garden.
17. The cook _______ (to taste) the soup to see if it is right.
18.I _______ (to like) this cake, I _______ (to taste) almond in it.
19.I ______ (not to want) to go anywhere. I _____ (to have) a headache. I _____ (to feel tired.)
20. It ________ (to get) dark. Let's go home.
21. I _________ (to have) my English now.
22. I _________ (to have) my English every day.
Put the verbs into Past Simple or Present Perfect.
1. George went to the cinema, but he ____ (not to enjoy) the film much.
2. ____ you ever ____ (to have) any serious illness?
3. I ____ (to come) to school without glasses. I can't read the text.
4. Who ____ (to eat) all the apples?
5. So far we ____ (to have) no troubles.
6. Jane ____ (to move) to a new flat a month ago.
7. We ____ (to wonder, often) where he gets his money.
8. Do you know that they ___ (to be born) on the same day?
9. How often ____ you ____ (to fall) in love?
10. I'm delighted to tell you that you ____ (to pass) your exam.
11. I ____ (to use) to swim every day when I was young.
12. Some people think that "The twelfth night"____ (not to be written) by Shakespeare.
13.I____ (to break, already ) two plates. Shall I go on washing up?
14. I'm not sure we ____ (to meet) before.
Mixture of tenses. Put in the correct auxiliary verb in each sentence.
A) do B) did C) are D) have
1. I ___ not see Andrew yesterday.
2. How long ___ you lived there?
3. Why ___ you learning English?
4. ___ you seen anybody today?
5. What ___ you think of your new teacher? To my mind she is very nice.
6. ___ you angry about what happened?
7. ___ you read a newspaper yesterday?
8. My mother knows Mrs. Dave better than I ___ .
9. ___ you ever forgotten about your friend's birthday?
10. How ___ you get to the station when you are late?
11. ___ you disappointed with you exam results?
12. ___ you been abroad? ___ you enjoy it?
13. I ___ known Jane for three years, but I___ not know what she's thinking.
14. They ___ a lot of crying last night.
15. You ___ always making mistakes.
Use either the Present Perfect Simple or Continuous in the following sentences.
A) Present Perfect (have / has done)
B) Present Perfect Continuous (have / has been doing)
1. I_____ (to try) to open this box for the last forty minutes but in vain.
2. It ____ (to snow): the garden is covered with snow.
3. Who ____ (to break) the window?
4. Have you ____ (to smoke)?! I can smell tobacco on your clothes.
5. It's the best book I (ever to read).
6. I ____ (to listen) to you for the past half an hour, but I can't understand what you are speaking about.
7. How long has your aunt ____ (to be ill)?
8. The school _____(to be closed) for two months.
9. Hey! Somebody ____ (to drink) my coffee! My cup was full.
10. I don't think I ____ (ever to see) her looking so upset before.
11. I ____ (to sit) here in the park for an hour, and I______ (to meet) three friends of mine.
12. How much money have you _____(to save) for your last holidays?
Put the verbs into the right order.
A) Past Simple B) Past Continuous
C) Past Perfect D) Past Perfect Continuous
1. The workers ____ (to be) on a strike for three weeks when the agreement on pay ____ (to be reached).
2. When she got the results of her medical tests, she realized that she ___ (to be feeling ) ill since she ____ (to be) on holiday.
3. The door was unlocked. She ____ (to wonder) who ____ (leave) the door open.
4. He ____ (to play) football when the ball ____ (to hit) his head.
5. He ____ (to drive) to work for half an hour when suddenly his car ____ (to break) down.
6. When he arrived at the office he____ (to discover) that he ____ (to leave) all the necessary papers at home.
7. Susan ____ (to type) some letters when the boss ____ (to ask) her into his office.
8. She looked tired. She____ (to type) letters all morning.
9. Yesterday afternoon it ____ (still to rain) when I____ (to get) home.
10. He ____ (to clean) the car when the phone rang, so he ____ (not to answer) it.
11. When I ____ (to be) little, my mother ____ (to use) to feed me.
12. Jane's clothes were wet. She ____ (to wash) her dog.
13. Jerry ____ (to be) nervous, for he _____ (never to flow) in an aero plane before.
14. I ____ (never to like) going to the cinema on my own I when I was a teenager.
15. Kate ____ (to dance), but when she saw a newcomer she ____ (to stop).
Choose the correct variant.
1. This house ... by my husband's great-grandfather in 1790 (is built / are built / was built / will be built).
2. Poirot... faintly ... by the graciousness of the little lady's manner(is ...puzzled / are ... puzzled / was...puzzled).
3. As a result of an earthquake, the house there ... ... and her parents and
brothers and sisters all lost their lives (is burned down / are burned down / was burned down / will be burned down).
4. While I sat there a note... me from the house (is brought / has brought / was brought / had brought).
5. I... ... ... in an orphanage and then I ... ... by some people who died (is brought up / was brought up / has brought up / had brought up; is adopted / was adopted / have adopted / had adopted).
6. Andrew approached the Dumay's house. The door of the house...... as usual (is unlocked / are unlocked / was unlocked / were unlocked).
7. The girl ... last ... here about twenty minutes to eleven. By midnight, according to medical evidence she was dead (is seen / was/seen / were seen).
8. Diana is a huntress, isn't she? She ... always ... wearing a tunic (am portrayed / is portrayed / are portrayed).
9. He was lying on his bed. His cheeks and hands...... and swollen with scratches from the fight (is scarred / are scarred / was scarred / were scarred).
10.1 don't want to stop here. I......... (recognize / will recognize / will be recognized).
11. While I sat there a note ...... me from the house (bring / brings / is brought / was brought).
12. The road to the City of Emeralds ... ... with yellow brick, so you cannot miss it (pave / paves / is paved / was paved).
13. A second later I ... ... ... to a group of young American officers (was introduced / is being introduced / was being introduced).
14. Only two or three days later the Paris newspapers announced the birth of a Cox daughter, and declared that the child was ......... Juliette (call / called).
15. Blore was looking at the handle of the chopper. He said: "No fingerprints. Handle...... afterwards" (is wiped / are wiped / was wiped).